Friday, April 17, 2020

Writing during a pandemic ...

I'm sure, like many  of you, I'm spending more time on social media than I should. My socil media "flavour of choice" is Twitter. I have been tweeting since 2008, back when dinosaurs still ruled the earth. I started during the Arab Spring movement since I found it interesting what the journalists on the ground had to say versus what was published in the news. I also find there are more writers on Twitter.

I need to share a tweet I saw a couple of days ago. "This is a leap year, so Feb has 29 days, Mar has 300 and April is 5 years." I know how they feel and I bet you do too. Staying at home is necessary but it isn't a whole pile of fun.

As I mentioned before, I live in a small town where getting out for a walk, and maintaining social distancing is quite easy. If you can doo this, please do. It's good for you. However, as my wife and I finish up our 5th week of working at home, I'm finding I'm getting a little shack wacky.

I have more time to write (and still get my work done) however, I feel I'm getting flat creatively.  I do have a semi-productive solution that I'll share with you. It works for me and it might work for you as well.

Since I've never had the opportunity to write full time, I have a tendency to work on several things at once. I keep a couple of journals just to record random ideas and thoughts so that I don't forget them - I have a good memory but it's short and we all know that ideas can come from anywhere and at anytime.

Sometimes, some of these ideas connect together and then I start a journal for that specific story and all the ideas related to that story go in there. Finally, I have one manuscript that is officially my work in process (WIP).

So with my WIP, I push that along in the journal until the story gets to a rudimentry form, almost a skeleton of the story with a few bones missing. This is draft 0.25. From here, I write with pen and paper to get a first draft in place. I think of this as draft 0.5. Finally I type draft 0.5 into my lapyop to create my first draft.

I'm not the type of writer that can do a completed manuscript in two drafts. Not my talent, might not ever be. I write and polish and add and edit and cut and add again until I'm done - at least as far as I can go, with the talent I have. Manuscript three and four are in that state at the moment. Once I go back and rewrite on more time, I need to find an agent willing to help me go forward to get these published.

So, what I'm saying is that I purposely have several places to work on my writing, depending on how sharp I feel. Sometimes I work on new stuff, sometimes I just type draft 0.5 into the laptop. Each is a necessary part of the writing process for me and it allows me to do something productive regardless how sharp I feel at the time. If you are working at your writing part time, this may give you an option to do some writing regardless.

Be well and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment