Monday, April 6, 2020

Working from home - it's not as easy as it looks!

So we have all been working from home for about 3 weeks to a month - depending when you started to self quarintine - and I think we are all getting a bit shack happy. My wife is working out of her office upstairs and I have set up in the dining room.

Things are going reasonably well, for example she hasn't killed me yet, but I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to stay motivated.

I'm of an age that I grew up "going to the office". Even in my surveying days, I went to the office before going out to do whatever survey job we were doing. Since switching over to real estate about 28 years ago, I have always had an office.

My wife always worked from the office. She is an introvert by nature, but she is missing her friends at the office. I guess everyone is going through this in one way or another.

Work full time at home is a challenge. Sometime in the next few years, I plan on retiring from my current position and becoming a full time writer, so I'm trying to see this as good practise. For example, I have already learned that I will need to find a spot to where the cats can't help (see Luna helping in the above photos). What is it about cats and notebooks or keyboards. Merlin, Luna's brother, likes to help my wife by sprawling across her keyboard, or just walking across it causing all sorts of havoc.

Now before anyone says anything, my recognize that my problems are so very small compared to some people. None of my family are front line workers, their jobs are safe, and they are as safe as any of us are. We have enough money and we can pay for our food and homes. Anything after this, is really just a bonus.

Like my previous blog I reiterate for everyone to try to help out where you can, even if it's just a kind word of thanks to a grocery store clerk or a thumbs up and thank you to a front line worker. If you can, support a local restaurant by getting some take out. Try to down load some music or buy a book on-line. Everything you can do will help.

This pandemic is going to change us all, much the way 9-11 did. This time I hope it changes us all for the better. Be safe, be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment