Friday, January 28, 2011

25th Anniversary of Shuttle Explosion, e

It's hard to believe that the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after lift-off 25 years ago.  I had just started writing in my first journal at the time, so I dug out that journal, and found I had put some newspaper clippings in it as well.  That really took me back.

I was working as a land surveyor with Daigle Surveys at the time.  I was in the office doing computations when the story came on the news on the radio.  I remember thinking this is really going to set the space program back.  I was right because several years went by before the shuttles flew again.  I wrote in my journal, "It is a sad day for those of us who believe in the challenge of space and the value of exploration."  I still think that way.

I've been a space freak (or geek) since the early days of the Apollo missions.  I was 10 when Neil Armstrong took his one small step.  I guess that's why my writing has moved back and forth between Fantasy and SF.  I'm currently doing research for a series set on an much expanded ISS.  I'll work full time on that series after I finish the current book I'm working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment